January 11, 2017

Just passed six years myself, nothing to report!


Original Story

September 11, 2010

Background I am a 47 year old martial arts enthusiast and instructor. I was diagnosed with OA about 10 years ago; I now realize that this was due to femoro-acetabular impingement, and that my left hip had never been quite right. I started running and weight training at about 21 and always experienced some stiffness and soreness on this side. I'm sure that this problem has held me back in my sporting endeavors, and that I might have achieved more, possibly with less effort, nevertheless my fitness effectively peaked at age 45.   September 11, 2010 I received a Left finsbury adept 10th sept 2010 at age 47.  I went for the procedure at about 08:30, the spinal was a little uncomfortable, though sedation was already taking effect; I woke up in the recovery room at about 10:30, with no sensation below the waist.

T+3hrs: Feeling beginning to return in non-op leg, I'm back in my room, I receive a short visit from Mr Latham who says the resurfacing went very well, I can get out of bed as soon as I have sensation in both legs. I'm wearing pressure pads on the left foot and right calf which squeeze alternately to prevent blood clotting; I flex my feet and calves as much as I can.

T+ 5:30hrs With P.T. and nurse in attendance I stand briefly to relieve myself, I can support my weight evenly distributed and unaided. I manage to fill a bottle with a young lady on each arm - not something that happens every day.

Having experienced both spinal and general anaesthetics I can report that each has it's drawbacks. The general has more and longer lasting 'head' effects; the spinal, with a couple of milligrams of diamorphine produced ferocious itching, which started in the groin and spread over the body, I felt as if I had an entire flea circus dancing on me. Total constipation and most alarmingly, extreme difficulty in passing water, these effects lasted for 24 hours and tapered off over the next 12. On the plus side, I was fully compos mentis with no dizziness or pain. At some point during the day I am visited by the anaesthetist; as I am concerned with the constipating effect of the Dihydrocodeine I've been recieving he agrees to change my prescription to Tramadol, which suits me better.

T+ 13hrs: I start course of anti-clotting injections, I also get periodic doses of antibiotic through the cannelure which is still in my right arm

T+ 24hrs: I am mobilised on crutches, walk to the bathroom and wash then start circulation and rehab exercises with P.T.

Foot rotations, clenching leg muscles in turn, seated quad sets, a short leg raise over a rolled towel, heel slides and lying abductions; I am to repeat these approx every 2 hours. I am delighted to find that although stiff and sore, my range of abduction is already better than in the last few weeks.

Mr. Latham follows the rather conservative McMinn protocol, with movement restrictions for 6 weeks, 90* restriction, operated leg not to cross centre line and no closed-chain rotation on that side. I have a procedure for everything, getting out of bed, sitting and standing, in or out of a vehicle. As part of the package I've purchased, an occupational therapist visited the flat, supplied some mechanical aids, and demonstrated all this, so I've had a chance to practice beforehand. T+ 36hrs, the blood drain has been removed, the antibiotics are finished, and I'm able to get about on crutches by myself. I've done the bed excercises about 5 times today, and using an Ice pack constantly; I have no swelling and minimal bruising.

The spinal jab seems to have worn off, the unpleasant side effects of the heroin now gone, it beats me how people can get stuck on that stuff!

I feel as if I've taken a few good kicks in the trochanter region, or maybe walked a long way with the old injury, comfortable with the tramadol, just enough pain to stop me doing anything reckless.

Mr Latham is pleased with the X-ray, I should have a good range of motion. The pressure pads will go on again tonight, and tomorrow we start standing exercises.

I find myself more optimistic than I've been for a long time, I'm looking forward to tomorrow. September 12, 2010 A comedy of errors last night: woke up about 0400 feeling uncomfortable; I really wanted to change position but with the pressure pads hooked up to the machine and a triangular block between my legs this is impossible. I decided to have some ice instead. I have been using a large pad which is refreshed by gravity feed from a bucket sized thermos flask full of ice water. You connect the hose to the flask, siphon the warm water out then reverse the positions to recharge. There is an air vent in the top.

I'd been using this thing all day with no trouble so I didn't bother to put the light on, hence didn't notice the vent was left open and managed to pour the contents of the ice bucket over myself!

So a nurse had to come in, change the dressing and put a fresh sheet on, I found standing for a few minutes relieved the discomfort. She then fixed the ice pack for me; unfortunately she left the hose coupled so I had to do it again anyway. This morning, T+48 hours, got up, walked to bathroom. Washing, shaving etc. takes ages while observing the protocol and keeping the dressing dry. A nurse washes my feet and I have some blood taken for heamoglobin test.

I have some swelling today, which i'm told is normal, I do the bed excercises twice, once with P.T. in attendance. The range of motion is diminished from yesterday and I feel a lot less flexible, so I don't push it.

P.T. gives me a pair of stout walking sticks to replace the crutches and I practice a more fluid, natural gait instead of the shuffling 'cripple step' I've adopted with the crutches, walking is getting more comfortable. I feel that's enough progress for one day.

In the afternoon the P.T. comes in and demonstrates the standing excercises which are pretty straightforward; front, side rear, I run through it once over a very short range which is pretty challenging in itself. I can't see any point in repeating it and suggest we crack on with it tomorrow.

I have another consultation with the surgeon, we had discussed discharging me tomorrow but I'm not in any rush as I still have a little bleeding from the wound, he takes a look and decides I could come out on tuesday if I'm ready. We also agree to lay off the excercise for the rest of the day.

I lie flat for an hour with the ice pack on, it's necessary to do this every so often to stretch out the scar. I've been advised not to remain in one position for too long; in practice I've found it uncomfortable to do that anyway, so I alternate lying, reclining, sitting, standing, and take a few steps with the sticks when I feel like it.

September 13, 2010 T+ 3days

Slept 7 hours, which is plenty for me, vivid dreams, presumably enhanced by the opioid painkillers. The effect of the pressure pads on the feet & legs while dreaming is worth mentioning. I've acquired earplugs, so the noise doesn't bother me, but it creates peculiar sucking, clutching and wringing sensations.

I remember one dream: I was walking on a wooden bridge, which was moving under me and slowly collapsing, my foot went through and I couldn't pull it out. Eventually I got loose and trudged across a muddy field, with deep tractor ruts, stumbling and periodically getting sucked into the mud. I woke up, looked down at my feet and all became clear!  I got up at 07:30 took painkillers and went through my ablutions, breakfast at 08:00; sat in chair for 20 minutes, then did the bed excercises, interspersed with some upper body work on the bar over my bed. My range of movement is back where it was the first time but I didn't push it any further.

I have been warned that the flexibility will fluctuate like this for a while, so resolve to take it as it comes, I still have some swelling, it's confined to the upper thigh and outside of the hip but I haven't seen the 'elephant leg' some folk report. My digestion and other functions are back to normal.

Walking is much easier today, I can move around the room comfortably with one stick, but expect to use two when I go outside; gripping the window frame for support I did the standing movements I was shown yesterday, which are still fairly challenging to be honest. I did 5 reps of each then lay flat for a while with the ice on.

I find I really enjoy just standing upright and still, much more comfortable than sitting. After 10 mins lying flat I stand by the window, stretch my shoulders and back, do some breathing exercises. Then, in a plain, neutral stance, very slowly and gently, I run through the top half of the Siu Lim Tao from Wing Chun. The bottom part would break my movement restrictions and it's static anyway; my legs do not move throughout. I feel good. There's a strange kind of claustrophobia that comes from not being able to move freely, of course, some people have to live with this for a lifetime. I had a sense of it as my injury took hold and the range of activities open to me diminished, but right now it's a lot closer.

The sensation is intensified by being dependant on others, and especially by being dependant on drugs. I wrote the last post after my morning dose had taken effect; half an hour earlier I was feeling weak and sore, my backside seemed to have been roasted, and I approached the prospect of getting out of bed with some trepidation.

I am taking a fairly substantial opioid painkiller with 2 paracetamol, 4 times a day and an anti inflammatory once a day; I don't ask for it, although I could, I let the staff regulate the timing. After all, I spent 25 years building up my pain tolerance, and I don't want to ruin it.

So life has a rhythm, and it's mediated by pharmaceuticals, not only the physical but the emotional sensations tend to follow this cycle. Tramadol has a distinct mood lifting component, (which is why I requested it) and I get on very well with it. I believe I read somewhere that it has a mild S.S.R.I. effect - that's anecdotal, by the way, don't take my word for it!

September 14, 2010 Tuesday morning and time for discharge. I'll rephrase that, I've been signed off by the surgeon, P.T. and nursing staff, the wound is healing well.

Slept a few hours overnight, from 04:00 I was decidedly uncomfortable; the nurse came in for the usual checks and gave me a couple of paracetamol, I did my best to conceal my disappointment, spend the next few hours repeatedly iceing everything.

At 07:30 I get up and go for a wash, I really don't feel like it but need to get sorted before breakfast at eight, and I can't stay still much longer. In comes the lovely Holly, my favourite student nurse; "tramadol for you!" I'm out of the bathroom like a bullet out of a gun. In 15 minutes I'm my old self again.

Breakfast, short walk, then exercises, I do my 20 mins lying flat while I call the personnel manager at work. I have a sick note for 3 weeks, I'm allowed 6; I suggest that I might return sooner if I am sufficiently mobile and my protocol can be met, I've already done a quick risk assessment on my work area and I can see this is perfectly feasible. I've got 6 outpatients appointments included in the price so I will be reviewed weekly anyway. I've got a Finsbury Adept; as I understand it, Finsbury were the original maufacturers of the BHR. Derek McMinn sold the business to Smith and Nephew. Finsbury remain faithful to the original technology and my surgeon knows them well so he trusts the device, he is really a disciple of McMinn, the rationale being that his series has the longest history of use and consistent success rate.

September 15, 2010 T+5 Days: Swelling now into the calf as well, but range of movement still improving and the bruise has gone; I felt I might have overdone it yesterday as when I got home I couldn’t leave anything alone. I swerved one dose of tramadol and didn’t miss it; pain is greatly intensified by boredom. I think that sheds some light on the mechanism of addiction, how miserable it would be to have nothing to look forward to than the next dose of analgesic.

The sticks are a real encumbrance, and it takes a lot of discipline to keep using them indoors as I can move perfectly well without. To make up for it I had a 10 minute walk up the road with both sticks, concentrating on the gait. In the house I tried walking towards a full length mirror so I could check everything; I had been told that Mr Latham would make every effort to correct leg length and alignment. My shoulders are now parallel with the floor and my neck perpendicular to it; I’ve not been that straight for a very long time.

This morning I did the lying and standing movements, which are much easier now, tidied up a bit, lay flat with the ice for 20 minutes, then walked outside for 20. I won’t bore you with the minutiae of my daily life but the routine is exercise, sit, stand, lie down, walk, recline, repeat; and I just fit all other activities into those positions. There is a great temptation to collapse on the sofa with a crate of beer but I know I’d regret it when I got up.

I'm pleased to note that I didn’t put on much weight with all that Spire food, the swollen leg probably accounts for a couple of pounds. As well as the sticks, the hospital gave me a pick-up tool - sort of remote claw with a pistol grip and trigger, a long handled shoe horn, and a device for putting on socks which almost works. I don’t expect to have much use for socks in the foreseeable anyway. In addition I have some kit on hire from the British Red Cross: a couple of orthopaedic seats and a board for sliding into the shower, a non - slip mat is a good thing to have as well. I got some elasticated laces for my trainers and fastened them with cord clamps.

September 17, 2010 Friday morning, T+ 1 week: I took 50mg of diclofenac last night and elevated my feet overnight. Woke up this morning feeling awful (just for a change) took painkillers and went back to bed for 1/2 hour.

The swelling is greatly reduced and range of movement better than ever. Limited my walk to 15 minutes but covered a lot more ground. I'm still using the 2 sticks, as an experiment I covered a few yards without and my limp is barely perceptible, it will of course come back if I get tired.

September 22, 2010 T+12 days: Staples out, wound in good shape, had physio exam and cleared to use 1 stick only, she added glute bridges to the rehab (which I actually started yesterday) getting by on 2 tramadol per day.

October 2, 2010 T+ 3 weeks: I've resumed the anticoagulant but I take it early in the day; I see from the literature that the half-life is 5-13 hours. I'm sleeping well and the headache comes and goes but is tolerable. If the effects turn out to be cumulative I might miss the odd dose.

Had physiotherapy appointment on wednesday, my range of movement has improved (though I can't say I'd noticed). Added supported lunges and step ups to my programme. I dropped into the gym last night to see how my Kali class was faring in my abscence, joined in with some footwork drills (forward, reverse and lateral triangles - no twisting.) I managed the stairs in normal fashion using the 2 sticks.

Today I had a good walk on the golf course, 38 minutes at a fair pace over variable terrain. I can walk a very short distance stickless without limping but I need two to make it perfect. There is definite progress, I can lie on the operated side, with a cushion between the knees, I can comfortably get on the floor and do press ups, which is nice. I've started to rub out the lumps and knots around the scar with a commercial manuka ointment so it looks a lot tidier.

October 27, 2010 T+ 3 weeks 6 days: I can drive short distances, 20 minutes maximum, the seat is right on my 90 degree limit; I'm now down to one stick and no painkillers, operated leg won't quite take my full weight yet. I'm walking 90 -120 minutes a day, mostly on grass at the golf course; each walk is preceeded by 10 minute static cycle without resistance, this seems to loosen me up and minimize the limp.

I've made a lot of progress in the past week but it requires me to be totally strict with the exercise programme, walking, rest intervals, icing etc.

I'm convinced the anticoagulant therapy (rivaroxaban) has a cumulative effect; I've trawled the internet looking for an explanation but so far drawn a blank. I'd been using a small dose (2.5 - 5mg) melatonin to help me sleep; yesterday I forgot to take it and was up all night, despite having had a pretty tiring day. I took the A/C tablet in the morning, 2 cups of coffee and found myself overstimulated in a not entirely pleasant way - "have another stick of gum" etc. Blood pressure was normal, pulse slightly elevated (75).

My guess is that it works as an adrenaline agonist, or possibly a MAOI, subjectively that's how it feels, or maybe it's just me? It's certainly an appetite suppressant. I'm not taking anything else now except a few paracetamol. I am just short of 4 weeks post op; yesterday I walked approx 5 miles in total and didn't feel the need to take anything afterwards. I reflected that had I done this the week before surgery I would have felt miserable. The first measurable positive result.

October 11, 2010 T+ 4 weeks, 2 days. My operated leg will support my weight comfortably for 10 seconds or so. Balance exercises, lateral stepping and walking backwards added to the rehab programme. I might as well just train the Kali footwork matrix! I had a Malaysian Kung Fu instructor once who said one step backwards is worth a thousand steps forwards - ever tried using the eliptical trainer in reverse?

I think the breast stroke advice came from a P.T. at the hospital, but they do err on the side of caution. I am still not supposed to lie on the other side, though I have been doing this by gripping a cushion between the knees and putting the feet together. I simply cannot lie on my back for long, if I don't turn over I just have to get up and walk around.

As a matter of interest, I absent-mindedly crossed centreline on one occasion; it's an old habit of mine to stretch the hip by placing the foot on the opposite side and leaning over it, I must have been doing this for a minute or so before it dawned on me - I experienced no ill effects whatsoever.

I'm going back to work on wednesday, at T+ 4 weeks 5 days, I shall continue to use a stick, observe the protocol and walk twice a day.

October 16, 2010 T+ 5 weeks 1 day; I can now walk for an hour at a cracking pace without wanting to rest. The limp is almost gone, I've swapped the hospital stick for my old curly handled cane, it rolls nicely in the hand and I can hit every other left step if I want.

I'm doing fine back at work and fit my exercises into my breaks 40 minutes driving is enough, I split longer journeys.

Taught Kali & Panantukan for 2 hours on friday no problem, lots of footwork drills. The only thing I can't do yet is turn on the ball of the foot; the gym has soft mats and the friction puts the torque through the hip. When this fades to a mild discomfort I'll use it to improve my mechanics, really looking forward to hitting things again!

October 26, 2010 T+ 6 weeks 4 days: Started hitting things again, just a little pad work with a mate in the back yard. No problem with the hip/legs but I feel it in the rib cage 2 days later, hurts to laugh! So that’s what it’s like when you stop for 6 weeks! Never stopped before.

This week’s progress is I now get in and out of the car normally, and sitting for long periods is no longer onerous, just a slight dull ache. I’m up and down out of the chair all day without thinking about it.

If I hadn’t done so much reading on the subject I would say it’s all over and business as usual; I can walk for miles, the stick is virtually superfluous but I’ll keep it handy for a while longer, I’ve got attached to it. I’m doing balance exercises on the operated side and a short one legged squat, I feel a slight lack of proprioception.

I feel like I could run if I wanted to, but I’m going to avoid impact for the next few months while I rebuild the muscle, if I catch the foot or slide on a wet surface it feels horrible, last time was about a week ago, but that’s the only reminder I get of the procedure.

October 30, 2010 T+ 7weeks: I saw the surgeon on thursday and he was delighted with my progress; I put this down to 3 months of preparation when I maintained my strength with cycling, isometrics, squats and negative reps, plus I've devoted myself completely to the rehab since surgery. I now have full resistance on the bike but not quite full speed, eliptical trainer forward and reverse, and bodyweight squats against the wall with the swiss ball behind me feels really good. I've been told I wouldn't get much benefit from hydrotherapy.

His advice was to continue with bodyweight excercises and stretching but avoid heavy weight training until the new year and no impact for another 4 months, I intend to take it, as it's worked out spot on so far; the movement restrictions became irrelevant just after the 6 week point.

Just managed to tie shoelaces and put socks on, I can squat deep and get up unaided but hold something to steady myself just in case. My feet are blistered from walking so far yesterday but the hip feels fine, went to reggae concert in the evening and had a bit of a jig about.

November 10, 2010 T+ 8 weeks 5 days: Can touch toes, use rowing machine, deep squat unaided, back to climbing stairs two at a time.

December 3, 2010 T+12 weeks, the turning on the ball of foot is comfortable now, working on my boxing footwork which feels a little rusty. The only significant weakness I have left is with abduction with bent knee. I've been using one of these machines in the gym, seated abduction; it's on a 'ladies' setting and still quite hard work, easier if I lean forward. I intend to work on that with low resistance for a month before I give myself any new challenges.

December 27, 2010 T+ 15 weeks 4 days, rounded off the year with a vigorous sparring session with my colleagues at the Gladiator Academy. I opted for boxing only, no kicking or grappling at this stage but I was well pleased with my fitness and movement. Had a nice long walk afterwards to loosen off and I now feel absolutely fine. It's great to be able to play again. In the last week I am just able to raise myself off the floor with the operated leg. Still working on those abductors!

February 3, 2011 T+ 21 weeks 6 days.

I spent 4 of the past 8 evenings training with Guro Rick Faye, founder of the Minnesota Kali Group, on his annual U.K. seminar tour. The hip coped well; groundwork felt a bit creaky at first but got easier as I warmed up - it was never my strong point anyway.

Several times last night I unconsciously got up from the mat without putting a hand down. Now whenever I've tried to do this since the op I've been unable to 'feel' the start of the motion and just floundered around; I wondered whether this was just weakness in the abductors or if some nerve connection had been lost. After a few repetitions the muscle was fatiguing so I gently assisted with a light hand pressure, but the muscle memory is definitely still there, I feel fine today, I'll work on this for the rest of the week.

February 16, 2011 T+22 weeks 6 days: Just to prove it's not all plain sailing, today finds me walking like Douglas Bader! Using the abduction machine last night, at quite a light setting I felt a sharp twinge in the left groin area, enough to make me stop immediately. I got on the bike which felt all right but found myself losing strength and slowing down, so I quit after about 12 minutes. Today I am very stiff and sore and can only raise my left knee with difficulty, curiously, abduction is no weaker than before. I've no choice but to back off for a while. I'm coming to the conclusion that the machine is a bit harsh for this stage of rehab.

Until that everything was going fine, last week I was jogging round the soft mats in the gym and ready to start proper running at the 24 week point. It does feel like I've torn something though, no idea how long it will take to heal.

February 18, 2011 T+23 weeks: Pleased to report that I feel a lot better today; my chiropractor diagnosed a psoas sprain. It seems this muscle can partially compensate for weakness in the gluteus medius so it all makes sense now. It follows that seated abduction machine is not suitable for rehab so I'll stick to side raises and 'air kicks'.

Looking around the forum trouble with the psoas and it's tendon seems to be very common among the newly resurfaced.

This was the worst setback I've had so far as it put me back to square one for a little while, but a worthwhile lesson nevertheless, as I was starting to feel invincible. I reflect that without the surgery, a prang like that would have left me lame for more than a week.

March 11, 2011 T+ 26 weeks I saw the surgeon yesterday, he's pleased with my strength and range of motion, I'm making excellent progress notwithstanding my recent prang, which seems to be tendon or ligament irritation and recovering normally so nothing to worry about.

I'm going for a little run on sunday, not goal-oriented, just to work on my gait and see how it feels; I've loosely committed to a bit of cross-country at the end of the summer. I shall stick to grass for a month or two anyway.

I feel I'm about half way.

April 12, 2011 T+ 30 weeks 3 days I started weighted squats again last week 20x60 and 12x90 kg, and kicked the heavy bag around a bit last night, maybe 30% power, but it's been a long time. I honestly didn't know if I'd ever have a round kick again, I feel a bit clumsy sometimes, as if I don't quite 'own' that leg, but now I believe everything will be possible eventually.

May 4, 2011 T +33 weeks 4 days

First road run last night, a modest 4k, the pace dictated by a much younger partner; no ill effects this morning, I can round kick with the operated leg quite comfortably, though not full power; squats now up to 12x100kg.

The interesting thing is that I can run on consecutive days without getting sore, although I'm only doing short durations at the moment. I've never been able to do that, even in my 20s I used to have a long one once a week, and the hip would always stiffen up.

Still a lot of work to do, it's so long since I've felt normal I can't remember what it's like...

May 20, 2011 T+ 36 weeks Nothing much to report now, just enjoying training like a nutter again and wishing I had more time! Back to regular kickboxing class, extending the runs, squat 12 x 110Kg the flexibility is coming back as well.

June 10, 2011 T+ 39 weeks My running is limited for now by a recurring soreness in the hip flexor on the operated side. I am good for about 45 minutes on cross country or road, dropping to 12 minutes or so on the treadmill; if I take a short break, stretch everything and come back to the treader I can get another 12. I found pre-injury that 15 minutes on a treadmill felt like an hour on the road so that part doesn’t surprise me. The pace and incline don’t seem to make much difference; I’m running about 3 times a week, I tried cutting out some of my other activities but that didn’t help either. I’m disappointed with the lack of progress here as I used to be able to run all day.

June 17, 2011 T+ 40weeks I discussed the hip flexor thing with the chiropractor and got some stretches. I'm sure that's my problem, exactly as described in the article.

Last night I spent 1 3/4 hours in the gym for only 22 mins on the treadmill, the rest was all stretching, I did the above technique and attacked every trigger point I could find with the foam roller; I basically gave myself a full body massage by dragging myself back and forth across the accursed thing, extremely unpleasant, especially the quads.

After warming up I got 16 minutes running at paces up to 13 KPH at various inclines; when the pain became unreasonable (what, exactly, is unreasonable?) I slowed it down and tried to walk it off finishing at maximum incline. Then I went and stretched everything again, I would have tried another run but ran out of time.

So that's a 30% improvement on last time and equates to about an hour on the road, a step in the right direction at least.

I have access to a bosu ball and a podiatron machine, also I made a rocker board to use at home. I put in a bit of stability work when it gets bad, then I get bored with it.

October 5, 2011 T+ 1 year, 3 weeks, 6 days

Just had an x ray, I haven't had a chance to show it to my surgeon yet; as we're just past the year mark I'm due a follow up appointment. The femoral neck looks a little narrower than immediately post-op. A little research reveals that femoral narrowing is very common in the first 2 years (about 80-90% of patients) then it stabilises, apart from that it looks ok (to me) so hopefully I get the all clear. I'm still a bit disappointed with my athletic performance but the ankle isn't helping.

October 13, 2011 T+ 1 year 4 weeks 6 days.

I sprained the (right) ankle about 3 months ago for the first time ever; I've done the other one loads of times in the past and is now quite misshapen. The right one now looks pretty much like the left, I can't remember how long it took to recover first time but I'm sure it wasn't this long. It swells and bruises with activity and I get a fair amount of pain, I've had a bit of ultrasound on it.

The limiting factor on running and kicking is still my operated hip, the muscles tighten and my flexibilty is impaired, I also get pain in the psoas region, but this goes away quickly when I stop. Before the arthritis set in I found running as comfortable as sitting in an armchair; I would set off without worrying about distance or duration, now every step seems like hard work.

Anyway, I've seen the surgeon and he's pleased with the x ray and my range of motion, so all clear for a year. He says it will continue to bed in for another 6 months and be patient. As you probably realise I'm not a very patient bloke! The other hip shows some signs of degeneration, but doesn't look much different from last year, so it can wait (good).

January 10, 2012 T+ 1 year 16 weeks 2 days

New year's day 2012 I ran my old 10k circuit around bournemouth, half downhill half uphill, for the first time in exactly 3 years. I didn't worry about speed, just plodded comfortably along and pleased to say no problems, even the steep zigzag path off the beach; once I'd been convinced I would never do this again and I must admit felt rather smug.

When I got in I looked at the clock in disbelief - one hour 9 minutes! A full 15 minutes longer than my worst ever time, the whole thing should take about 3/4 of an hour. I'm aware my stride is quite short and gets shorter as I go along, but at least I've got something to work on now.

September 11, 2012 Just checking in at the 2 year mark (yesterday); I honestly never think of the hip now. Crewing on festivals in the summer I was squatting 3 foot iron tent stakes out of the ground with a bit of rope. I can run and kick, it's true my fitness isn't quite where it was but I put this down to lack of time to train, while I was injured I acquired other interests.

November 1, 2012 I finally got my 2 year x-ray, had it done through the NHS - we still have one for the time being, though the GP said 'don't expect to get a free one next year', we had a short chat about the state of things and he said he's retiring and glad to be out of it - it's always a bit of a performance getting the disc off them but it only costs 10 quid.

The radiographer didn't seem terribly busy so I told her my story and she let me have a look; I could see it was fine so I saved it as a jpeg and e-mailed it to the surgeon. He would normally charge me about £60 to sit in his office but replied that it looked great and I could get away with filling in the questionaire, which I did, maximum score for everything.

June 11, 2013

I slipped and fell on ice about 2 months into my resurfacing, landed on the operated side and experienced no ill effects whatsoever.

It's now been 2 1/2 years and I never consider my hip when fighting or doing anything else. Most of the people I train with don't even know about it.

I'm out at the moment with a torn shoulder - but that's another story...


New Stories

Derek's Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Pritchett 2017
24 Jun 2017 17:44

June 24, 2017 I am 4 days LBHR/Pritchett post-op and doing well.  I have and am continuing to document my story here.  Other's stories helped me so much pre-surgery, I am hoping to pay it forward. [ ... ]

Dr. PritchettRead More
Phill Wadsworth's Bilateral Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Brooks
02 Jun 2017 13:15

Phillip Wadsworth   I was asked to share my recovery - I am now 61 and very active in outdoor sports. In the last year:
30 mile backpacking trip with Scouts.   Heading to Philmont for a 12 day [ ... ]

Dr. BrooksRead More
Michael's Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Bamford 2009
31 May 2017 12:16

8 Year Update Sorry it's been a while since I last updated about my hip.

I had one of the replacements that got recalled, and I'm glad to be able to say that I've had no problems with it, thank goodne [ ... ]

Additional StoriesRead More
Peter Austin - Hip Resurfacing with Mr. McMinn 2016
23 May 2017 23:53

Published on May 15, 2017 Peter was a familiar face at The McMinn Centre when he came for consultation on his troublesome right hip last year. At the start of his media career, Peter worked for Mr Mc [ ... ]

Mr. McMinnRead More
Anthony Mundine - BHR 1Year Post Op with Mr. McMinn
23 May 2017 23:52

Published on May 23, 2017 Australian boxer comes back to the UK for his one year follow up consultation with Mr McMinn and gives us a quick update on his progress. Unsurprisingly, it hasn't been a qu [ ... ]

Mr. McMinnRead More
Pauline Mower - BHR & Custom Polyethylene Resurfacing by Mr. McMinn 2017
23 May 2017 23:49

Published on May 23, 2017 Retired School Teacher Pauline Mower had a right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing (BHR) under the care of Mr McMinn back in 2004. She returned in late 2016 when her left hip pres [ ... ]

Mr. McMinnRead More
Glenn's Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Pritchett 2017
02 May 2017 11:24

April 29, 2017 I have had a bad left hip for almost four years now. I went in for knee pain, and low and behold, I was told it was my hip causing the knee pain. I used to play lacrosse and basketball [ ... ]

Dr. PritchettRead More
Jim Jenkins Hip Resurfacing with Mr. McMinn 2010
27 Apr 2017 12:38

Update 2017   Published on Apr 27, 2017 Familiar face Jim Jenkinson, star of the McMinn Centre Recovery Video series, has come back to see Mr McMinn to have his other hip resurfaced. Jim had a ri [ ... ]

Mr. McMinnRead More
Wayne Morris Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Rogerson 2016
18 Apr 2017 13:40Wayne Morris Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Rogerson 2016

Just wanted to update the progress of my resurfaced hip done on August 18th. Three days ago I finished a 3000km bike ride from the very top of New Zealand to the very bottom and for the entire ride  [ ... ]

Dr. RogersonRead More
Jamie's Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Brooks 2017
18 Mar 2017 14:57

March 13, 2017 To start off I am a 41 year very active male.  I was always active in sports growing up and played college and semi pro football.  I would workout 5-6 days a week, basketball twice a [ ... ]

Dr. BrooksRead More
Rob's Bilateral HR with Mr. McMinn 2000 - 2015
18 Mar 2017 14:53

August 27, 2013 I had my left hip BHR resurfaced on 20th Nov 2000 by Mr D Mcminn and was working again , landscaping and race driving 3 months later. It's brilliant and has kept my right hip going mu [ ... ]

Mr. McMinnRead More
Goran H's Hip Resurfacing with Dr. De Smet 2017
16 Mar 2017 12:53Goran H's Hip Resurfacing with Dr. De Smet 2017

Just want to thank everyone involved in my Hip replacement at Anca Medical center. I had high expectations of fast recovery but this is incredible. To try walking with crutches the day after the opera [ ... ]

Dr. De SmetRead More
Andriko Hip Resurfacing with Dr. De Smet 2017
01 Mar 2017 23:51

  I am in Ghent recovering from a HR with Dr. De Smet.  I decided to go with him after I read his article on metalosis and dislocation.  Bart (surg tech) mentioned he is the top authority on metal [ ... ]

Dr. De SmetRead More
Anthony Cornicelli's Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Brooks 2007
23 Feb 2017 13:29

February 22, 2017   I underwent the BHR hip resurfacing procedure in January, 2007 at the age of 53.  I remember being a bit apprehensive at first.  I realized though that I had arrived at th [ ... ]

Dr. BrooksRead More
Bruce Russell's Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Rogerson 2016
19 Feb 2017 12:33Bruce Russell's Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Rogerson 2016

February 16, 2017 "I am now 3 1/2 months post op from my BHR hip procedure and I can tell you I am very happy with the outcome. I have no pain, no feelings of instability, good range of motion and I  [ ... ]

Dr. RogersonRead More
Mari's Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Gross 2009
30 Jan 2017 15:27

February 28, 2009 I am recovering nicely at age 62.  I have no pain, but swelling has been a problem for me.  Even after icing a lot I still have trouble with the calf of my leg being quite uncomfo [ ... ]

Dr. GrossRead More
Shelton's Bilateral Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Gross 2016
05 Jan 2017 19:03

January 3, 2017 My hip pain was a creeper that did not put me totally out of commission until about a year ago. Slowly started quiting all sorts of sporting activities i used to enjoy. No more tennis [ ... ]

Dr. GrossRead More
Other Articles

Developed in conjunction with Joomla extensions.

Pay Pal Donation

Web design by Patricia Walter Copyright Surface Hippy 12/11/2005
Mission Statement - Surface Hippy is a patient to patient guide to hip resurfacing.
It does not provide medical advice. It is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and clinician.
Advertising - Revenue from this site is derived from commercial advertising and individual donations.
Any advertisement is distinguished by the word "advertisement"
Privacy - Surface Hippy does not share email addresses or personal information with any group or organization.
Content - Surface Hippy is not controlled or influenced by any medical companies, doctors or hospitals.
All content is controlled by Patricia Walter - Joint Health Sites LLC

Go to top