"Results of resurfacing patient survey
conducted on the
Yahoo Surface Hippy online forum between Oct 16 - Dec
20, 2007. There were approximately 850 responses which
included approximately 750 responses regarding post-op
experiences. The oldest resurfacing was nearly 10 years old
(April, 1998). About 65% of patients had surgeries based in
the United States and 35% in other countries. Survey results
should be considered "biased" because the responses are only
from individuals who subscribe to the online forum
Yahoo Surface Hippies and who chose to respond to the
survey. The degree of bias, however, may be very small
for many questions. For questions regarding survey
administration and results contact Al Taylor
email: ataylor872 at yahoo.com
1. Date of your surgery? (if you have had
both hips done on different dates, please take the survey
twice). If future date then estimate.
2. City/state where surgery took (will
take) place. If outside US, please give country. (example
response: Chicago, IL)
3. Your age on date of surgery?
4. Your sex?
5. How long post-op are you, as of today? Pick selection
that is closest.
6. Device/type of procedure? (example response: "BHR")
7. What was/is the primary problem that led to the surgery?
8. Pre-op pain: While walking, when did "significant
9. Pre-op physical condition (fitness/endurance/strength),
relative to others your age (best guess):
10. Pre-op medication:
11. Pre-op mood:
12. Pre-op range of motion (ROM) in operated hip/leg:
13. Pre-op lifestyle restrictions due to hip condition:
14. How did you first find out about resurfacing?
POST OP QUESTIONS
15. How many nights did you spend in
16. On Discharge from the hospital
where did you go?
17. Which statement best describes the
majority of your immediate post op recovery period? (first
18. How much of all surgery and immediate
rehab expenses were paid for by insurance or national
medical plan (Canda, UK, Aus?NZ)? Consider all direct costs:
doctor/hospital fees, deductibles, copays, medicine,
travel/hotel, equipment, etc. ($1 US = approx. 50 pence (UK)
$1 (Canada), $1 (AUS/NZ)
19. Approximately what were your
personal out-of-pocket direct costs? (US $)
20. How long did you regularly take
prescription pain meds post-op? Exclude OTC medications such
as Tylenol, etc.
21. How long, if at all, did you wear
TEDS? (anti-embolism stockings) Include time in the
22. How would you rate any sleeping
problems in the first 4 post-op weeks?
23. How would you rate any
gastro-intestinal/urinary problems (e.g. constipation,
too-frequent urination, etc.) in the immediate post-op
period ( say 2 weeks)?
24. How would you rate your general
mood in the first 4 post-op weeks?
25. Did you have any problems with Deep
Vein Thrombosis, or other complications due to blood
Continue Viewing Survey Results on
Page 2 by clicking here