"Results of resurfacing patient survey
conducted on the
Yahoo Surface Hippy online forum between Oct 16 - Dec
20, 2007. There were approximately 850 responses which
included approximately 750 responses regarding post-op
experiences. The oldest resurfacing was nearly 10 years old
(April, 1998). About 65% of patients had surgeries based in
the United States and 35% in other countries. Survey results
should be considered "biased" because the responses are only
from individuals who subscribe to the online forum
Yahoo Surface Hippies and who chose to respond to the
survey. The degree of bias, however, may be very small
for many questions. For questions regarding survey
administration and results contact Al Taylor
email: ataylor872 at yahoo.com
POST OP QUESTIONS Continued
26. Did you have any problems with the
incision healing? (infections, bleeding, etc.)
27. Did you have any physical therapy
sessions after discharge from the hospital in the first 4
28. When did you begin to drive a car
29. When did you return to full-timework?
30. Please rate the physical activity
level of your job (if applicable)
31. For how long did you regularly need
to use an assistive walking device (cane, walking stick,
32. At what point approximately could you
walk a mile comfortable without cane, stick or crutch?
33. Did you have knee pain, back pain or
pain in the non-operated hip prior to surgery which resolved
itself or got better after hip surgery?
34. Have you tried to run/jog for
exercise/sport? If so, please elaborate generally on
frequency/intensity. (example: "easy 2 mile treadmill jog,
35. Do you regularly do any other
sports/activities that require (or have potential for)
turning/twisting/jarring/falling? (examples, basketball,
skiing, racquetball, hiking, high-energy dance/aerobics,
horseback riding, etc.) Please elaborate (example: "singles
tennis 2x/week in summer")
36. Have you every had a major
complication? (dislocation, femur break, deep infection,
etc,) If so, please also elaborate in the text box on the
last survey question below.
37. At this point in time how would you
rate your pain level in the operated hip on an average day?
38. Are you happy that you had the
39. If you had to do it over again
with the same surgeon, would you?
40. Thank you very much. Please us
this box to elaborate on any items above (for example, if
you had a major complication), or if you want to say
anything else regarding your experience.